Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Step Pause Step (And We're Dancing)

Thank you for organizing this meeting, and thank you for continuing this path of establishing paths.

It's been nearly six years since my first hesitant steps inside the Buddha Hall (or was it the Dining Hall?), to attend an informational meeting for EPP. At the time, the program was just what I didn't know I was looking for. And here it is again, at my feet. My life's circumstances have changed, but here again I hesitate, pause, step forth.

The year with EPP and my small group, and the two or three years of meeting with some version of our small group afterwards, have been thoroughly influential. At first, in many small, specific ways; and later in relation to large events (such as marriage, such as childbirth). Nowadays their influence has dissipated, become part of the atmosphere; often forgotten, yet always present.

What remains? Breathing with breathing. Pauses. Listening. Attending--to myself; myself in relation to others; to others. Learning to settle. Learning to begin again, again. Oh and that smiling; that warm-heartedness towards mistakes (like the improv teacher my friends told me about, who instructs that every flub be followed by a "Woohoo!").

What would help me? More opportunities such as these, perhaps, to reflect and reconnect. Many little ways in. Pathlets. At some point, when there is time, I'll take a longer walk with my practice. For now, I look for ways to greet it, wave hello, maybe sit for a bit together (or possibly do a little soft shoe).

With gratitude,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment